Top Ten Things to Know about Greg Estell, President of Education
1. Greg has held numerous roles over the last 30 years in the technology sector. Prior to SMART, he held executive positions at Hewlett-Packard and Motorola.
2. His work in the tech sector spans the globe and he’s excited to continue that global focus with SMART in EMEA, Latin America, APAC and North America.
3. As you can see, Greg’s work has taken him all over the world. Cities he’s lived in (in order) are: Des Moines, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Chicago (again), San Diego, Fort Lauderdale (again), Atlanta, Singapore, London, Atlanta (again), Dallas, and now Calgary (SMART’s global headquarters).
4. His favorite sports teams include:
- Basketball: Dallas Mavericks
- Baseball: Texas Rangers
- Football: Greg is open to becoming a future fan of the Calgary Stampeders and learning more about Canadian football (the team’s logo is similar to the team at his son’s university – it’s also a mustang – so that’s a good sign)
5.The most exciting thing Greg’s learned since joining the SMART team is that we have so many opportunities to help educators – a combination of products we are offering today to address student learning needs as well as many new opportunities stemming from innovations that you will learn about as our new plans roll out. Stay tuned!
6. The most important thing he’s learned from talking to educators over the last two months is how extensively educators are embracing technology in a variety of ways: whole-class, small-group and individual learning environments. He is excited to see how SMART helps educators employ technology to accommodate a variety of learning styles and how our expertise extends to integrate other devices in the classroom too.
7. If Greg had five minutes to talk to your students, would talk about what it’s like to grow up outside of your home country and share the experiences of his children. It can be both a challenging and exciting experience to live in various cities within North America, Asia and Europe. See #3 for details.
8. The SMART product he’s most excited about right now is the SMART Table 442i collaborative learning center and he’s looking forward to the work underway with our software portfolio. Again, stay tuned!
9. Greg’s excited to be a part of ISTE 2013 in San Antonio this year because it’s the first customer show he’ll attend since joining the team here at SMART. He’s really excited about the SMART Collaborative Classroom we are setting up and the meetings he’ll have with both school districts and our local resellers.
10. He wants educators to know that he likes to ask a lot questions and be challenged by people. Conversations with committed, enthusiastic educators will lead to better learning outcomes. He’s as motivated to listen and learn from you as he is to talk about SMART’s solutions.
I hope this gives you a clearer picture of the man running SMART’s education division. Let us know if you would like to see more SMART leaders profiled on the blog!