My First Post – Warren Barkley
Warren Barkley is SMART’s Chief Technology Officer. Get better acquainted with the man leading our technology vision. He’ll be blogging regularly on SMART web space and I promise you he’s an interesting guy. Over to Warren!
Well I have been reading blogs for the last hour and wow are the corporate ones boring. Frustrated copy writers gluing press releases together for their boss to publish seems the order of the day. My plan is that this will not be that sort of blog. I have to warn you upfront that I have opinions, I am kind of a crappy writer and am super passionate about our company and its future. Soo, here we go.
Eight months ago Neil (CEO) and I joined this company mostly because we believe there is an opportunity to make a profound difference to the way people work and learn. We have done a ton of work forming a new direction and becoming hyper-focused on what should be next. After a few months of digging deep into the market and where we are we produced a simple set of goals and strategic direction. So what are those you ask?
Well here is the short form:
- Be in more than 50% of all classrooms
- Triple enterprise revenue
- Products and everything else is on time, on margin and on quality
- Drive education solutions that create collaborative learning and interactivity for kids
- Create teaching and learning software that is agnostic and works any place and on any device
- Help Microsoft change meetings with solutions that make them active rather than passive
- Build vertical solutions that help people interact with their data locally and remotely
OK, are you still with me? I know it sounds good but as Jawad one of my bosses at Microsoft used to say “I am from Missouri the show me state, show me.” (He wasn’t from Missouri but it sounded good.) I promise we WILL show you and I hope surprise you with the cool stuff we are building.
Ohhh as a regular feature I will include a few bits of cool stuff I like and am reading. People seem to like that (or so they tell me).
- This NFC ring is the bomb.
- Interesting pens that give us feedback. Better than a whack on the hand with a ruler.
- I am a bit of a coffee nut (http://www.coffeereview.com/)
- There are lots of brain books but I love this one (http://brainrules.net/)
- Super sci-fi (http://woolthebook.com/)
Until next month. Oh lob your opinions back at me – I can take it!
Warren Barkley joined SMART in November of 2012 as the Company’s Chief Technology Officer. Warren has over 17 years of technology experience and most recently served as General Manager in the Unified Communications division at Microsoft. He has held several key positions in Microsoft over his tenure and was instrumental in the development of Microsoft Lync as the communication and collaboration software of choice for Fortune 500 companies. At Microsoft, he played a central role in establishing WiFi as a worldwide standard and building world-class real time communications technologies used by hundreds of millions of users every day. He holds over 35 worldwide patents in networking, wireless and communications. Prior to his career in the technology sector, Warren was a school teacher. He holds advanced degrees from the University of Victoria and the University of British Columbia.